Friday, November 19, 2010

Accountability...Ugh

Accountability….not something I always want, but probably something I usually need. I can have the greatest of intentions, but sometimes fall short of hitting the mark. That is why accountability can be my friend, if I will let it. So, my accountability is here. Right in this blog. I am going to have to answer for the progress I am making on my GAME plan.

So far…not a whole lot. But, I have made a little. In regards to my first goal of designing and developing digital-age learning experiences that are technology-enriched and speak to individual interests of my students, I have decided to find out more about the Universal Design for Learning. My school is trying to target specific students, especially ones in certain sub-groups, as a way to make AYP this year. They have called in some big guns and paid big bucks to learn that raising the scores of certain students of certain sub-groups will lead to this goal. We are supposed to be identifying these particular students and working with them during an advisory period. I have decided to try and find some type of Universal Design for Learning that would allow me to take some of the students with the most difficulties into a computer lab and work specifically with them. One of my principals thinks this would be a great idea, but I have yet to really understand what Universal Design for Learning is. So, my goal this week is to gain a better understanding, while figuring out how to utilize this for a very diverse group of students. If anyone has a clear understanding of this, or any suggestions in using this with students who struggle in school, please feel free to share with me.

I can’t wait to tell you next week what I have learned...Jane

6 comments:

  1. Jane,

    Could you tell us more about your group of students? Maybe we can brainstorm with you. I’ve found that tapping into something the students are already interested in can make a big difference. It’s worked for my students. They have interests as diverse as Harrison Ford, horses, and construction – but allowing them to learn within the realm of what they love seems to help them love learning as well.

    Also, I wish it was not true, but deadlines sure help me with accountability. That is why being in a master’s program has been so good – I have no choice but to learn. My house gets cleaned if I know people are coming over. My paper gets written if I have to have it in by a certain date. Otherwise, procrastination ends up ruling more than I would like it to.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. April,

    I don't really have a specific group selected yet, but the ones I will probably be working with are the higher level students in special education and ELL students, and the Hispanic and African-American students just below proficiency. There will probably be between 15-20 students, and we will have access to a computer lab everyday for a period of about 30 minutes.

    I have re-read chapter 5 in our text,(Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009)to gain a clearer understanding of universal design for learning, and it makes a lot of sense, but I really wish there were lessons and activities already available to use or adapt. My lessons can be over anything that would promote critical thinking, reading for context clues, finding textual evidence, etc.

    You're right, I live by the deadline, too, and always work better under pressure...I just tend to whine a little more about it!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.

    Perhaps one thing to consider is that you will more students engaged when you include technology and choice. That will in turn help your subgroups. Perhaps part of your goal should include having the kids be a part of the planning and creating of how that 30 minute class will look. I know I seem to get a whole heck of a lot more from my kids when they have a choice and when technology is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,

    It is my understanding, after reading chapter 5, that the Universal Design for Learning is a means for all students to succeed in the classroom environment. In order to do that, the educator needs to be flexible and cater his or her instruction to each student. Now you may have in any given classroom, many students who are able to understand the content and complete the tasks without differentiation; however, since you are taking on a small but challenging group of students, you will be able to more easily universally design your instruction. For instance, you can present the information in a variety of ways: listening, reading, and pictures. You may also decide to provide students choice in how they demonstrate learning so that they can be comfortable creating their product – music, video, performance, oral explanation, written essay, podcast…the list can go on. Being flexible in your instruction and assessment is an important piece of universal design.

    Good luck. These students are sure to improve.

    Brad Feick
    Walden University
    HS English

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane,
    I just when I think I understand, I realize there is so much more I need to know before true understanding takes place! I felt that I had a grasp on this, then...well maybe not. I know if you have a specific goal in place, you have jumped the first hurdle. What resources do you have available? Is there anyway you could take a survey/inventory of interest? It is wonderful that you have the backing of your administration, that always helps as far as resources and getting them! Good luck Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Edie...I am excited to try this, but do not really have a good idea of where to start. I will come up with something, I sometimes do surprise myself (ha!).

    Brad, I have re-read chapter five and have a better grasp on the universal design for learning; I think what I really want is for someone to give me the specific lessons...would certainly make things easier!!!

    ReplyDelete