Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Game Plan

A good coach is going to have a game plan for his athletes. A great coach is going to also have one for himself as he not only works to lead his players to victory, but strives to continually improve his own skills. The same principle applies to teachers; we spend time each week on lesson plans with the goal of having our students master predetermined standards and benchmarks. This can be the aim of a good teacher, but a great teacher is also going to have a game plan for his/her own growth and development. As nice as it sometimes sounds, obtaining a license does not mean the end of professional growth. Likewise, professional growth should not be purely for the sake of professional advancement. Increasing skills, abilities, and knowledge should be a lifelong learning process for every teacher in every classroom.

With technology and its implementation becoming so fundamental and foundational in every aspect of today’s society, our students must be exposed to its characteristics and possibilities whenever possible. To implement this, however, the teacher must also become a master of these skills and abilities. Since there is no need to wait until mastery is achieved to incorporate technology into the classroom, teachers can develop a game plan that enables them to learn, practice, and grow right alongside their students.

Looking over the National Educational Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) that the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) unveiled in 2008, I find a couple that seem doable enough, but I must admit there are a few that I am having trouble implementing in my classroom. For instance, I think the first one, to facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity, can be met fairly easily. One of the surest ways would be to get online and research and read about ideas from other teachers. To meet some of the others, however, I need to create my own game plan as a way to set goals, determine the actions I will take, monitor my progress, and then evaluate and expand my learning.

Goals: I want to become more efficient at designing and developing digital-age learning experiences and assessments, specifically ones that are technology-enriched while allowing students to pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals. Another goal of mine is to model digital-age work and learning by demonstrating fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations.

Actions: Implementing the first goal will be more difficult for me as I tend to want to control what the students are doing. My district also requires close adherence to the curriculum and teaching the text with fidelity. I will, however, begin to look for opportunities where I can meet the objective while allowing students as much choice and cutomization as possible. An example will be when we begin our unit on persuasive writing and techniques. I will give the students freedom in choosing their topics and the form of presentation for assessment in persuasion. By giving them leeway in their subject and staging, I believe I can expect more passionate and persuasive appeals. To help meet the second goal of modeling my own knowledge and skills, I will continue with my education through Walden University, while taking advantage of any workshops offered by my district. I will also attempt to practice some of the collaborative skills with other teachers who are experienced or who desire to learn the same things.

Monitor: In an attempt to monitor my progress, I will keep this blog current with the actions I am taking and their successes or failures in my learning experiences. I will have to hold myself more accountable now that I am posting this online, knowing that my classmates will be reading and following my progress.

Evaluation and Extension: The easiest way to evaluate my progress with the first goal will be by reflecting on the lessons of the unit and determining whether I was generous enough with the students in allowing them to choose their own passions for persuasion. Also, I can look at their successes with the lessons and see if there was a significant improvement in their participation and engagement. For the second goal, I will be able to look at my own progress and note the level of comfort I achieved. If I can successfully model fluent usage of technology systems, I will know I was successful in my game plan. At these points, I will know if I need to extend my plan, modify my actions, and monitor my growth more carefully as a means to greater growth as an educator and self-directed life-long learner.

Designing a game plan such as this will be the foundation for my growth as an educator. It will also give me direction in meeting the NETS-T set forth by the ISTE. If I expect my students to become self-directed life-long learners, I must ensure that I am first one who can be a role-model for them.

10 comments:

  1. Jane,

    I like your analogy of good coaches and teachers needing game plans for themselves as well as their players/students. I also found that I was semi-proficient in most of the NETS-T standards, but I still had room for growth. Like you, I find it sometimes hard to balance the need to have some control over the students, teach content required, and still allow for creativity and technology implementation. The reality is, allowing creativity takes more time, especially if we have the students do the work at school. I find it hard to just get through all of my requirements for the day, let alone spend hours each week in the computer lab having students create presentations, wikis, etc…

    For me the biggest difference, besides researching new technologies, and taking these courses, has come from simply trying new things. It require taking a risk, spending more time thinking through new options, and stepping off that technological cliff.

    We are all in this together, and I am looking forward to true collaboration and growth to occur this quarter via these blogs.

    April Grabanski
    5th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, while you admit that your goal to give up some control of learning process to allow to students to learn inspired by their own curiosities will be challenging, you have a method of monitoring your progress that should work well. Blogs can serve as an easy way to record your thoughts and hold yourself publicly accountable. From my personal experience, I struggle to keep my blog writing current. It seems that I often start off enthusiastically and slowly the entries slow to a halt. If this is a fear or problem of yours, you may want to set a strict time daily or weekly that is allotted only to the goal monitoring process. Perhaps, every Thursday during the first five minutes of your prep time could be a moment of reflection. Of course, if this doesn’t apply to you, ignore the suggestion.

    Furthermore, you may want to seek out experts within your building, district, or the online community who are experts or are onboard with technology and 21st century skills integration. If another teacher in your department is enthusiastic about providing students with more learning autonomy, perhaps the two of you could create lessons together. This helps enforce accountability since others are relying on you to help create a lesson or an assessment.

    Good luck!

    Brad Feick
    Walden University
    HS English

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane
    I love the reference to coaching, how appropriate!
    Like you, I find time is the enemy, after getting through the required work, fitting in the other is difficult. I hope to integrate the two. I teach a high stakes testing area, and feel that I cannot neglect that aspect of my teaching, I finally found a technology that will hopefully improve writing and composition, as well as engage students. I think the more that we learn in our classes, the more we will learn to integrate technology in our classroom.
    I would suggest finding a coworker who shares your goals and plans, it makes things so much easier to have someone you can bounce ideas off, as well as share ideas.
    Good luck!
    Edie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jane!

    I, like you, am having a tough time turning over much academic control to my students. I think that this is because my district also carries a large curricular stick with which to beat teachers who veer from the prescribed curriculum and assessment paths that are set. Nonetheless, I like to think that we can head in the right direction in small ways that will still increase our students' engagement and learning.

    I won't be fully focused on persuasive texts with my students until immediately after Christmas. I am excited about following your work with technology and persuasion before then and hope to learn from your experience and pick up some awesome ideas along the way. (No pressure!) I am especially curious about how you will set up assessment for your students' activities to make sure that their learning needs have been met. I still struggle with designing authentic learning opportunities without having to drum up brilliant plans for authentic assessment too. Sometimes I am truly a slow (even if motivated) learner.

    Thanks for your willingness to share your GAME plan and your learning experience with us.

    Trina
    ELA, Gr. 6-8

    ReplyDelete
  5. As educators, I believe we all need to share your goal in creating technology rich lessons that are authentic to our students lives. Through technology we can network ideas so that we can practice what we preach and be collaborative learners ourselves. Edie's above response is right on! When I need help I find a colleague and there is always someone willing to help out. We all struggle with technology lessons that are current as they change so rapidly. I am very interested in seeing ways in which assessments are performed using the same types of technology in which the lessons are taught. Another challenge!!! Anyone who says "teachers have it made" need to spend a day in our shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate the fact that you addressed the "white elephant" in the room. It is nearly impossible to perfect our knowledge of every technology tool available, but you have a great attitude about letting go of your control and learning with your students. I think this is one of the reasons a lot of educators are resistant to integrating technology: they don't want to look stupid in front of their students. It is absolutely necessary to have a sense of humor about yourself and be up front with your students about the fact that you don't know every single trick with a tool. Maybe, if you are honest, your students might teach you a thing or two.

    You are right on about the need, as educators, to keep learning. I think that in most of our cases we chose the field of education because we enjoyed school and learning, so it makes sense that we continue that and share what we are learning with our students. This is why it is necessary for our districts to provide us with more professional development that gives us tools to teach, rather than professional development that consists of a speaker who lectures and leaves no impression on his/her audience. You have got a great GAME Plan and I look forward to working with you in this course! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate all the support and confidence coming from each of you...I have picked up some great ideas and sites from just reading through each of your blogs. I am still learning, as most of you are, and I cannot wait until we are all so smart no one can stand us! LOL!

    April, I can so relate to the cliff...that first step off is the hardest. What can happen? So what if I reach China or wipe out my school website. These things can be fixed (ha) and it will at least be a learning experience!

    Brad, thanks for the idea of scheduling time for technology. You're right when you say that a few minutes can then become a few hours. I sometimes do that when I should be writing a paper for our course; I get to looking at something online and forget to work on the paper for class.

    Edie, I will definitely begin looking for a coworker to share the experience with. You make such a great point, and it is always more fun to discover something new with someone else. Also, another brain can only enhance the one I have!

    Trina, we may be tied to a strict curriculum, but taking small steps as you suggest will open doors. Once they see what we can do and what we can offer our students, they're bound to loosen their grip a little - but hopefully not too much at once!

    Cathi, I'm afraid I had to give up looking stupid in front of my student long ago. Seventh graders find anyone over the age of 19 a little stupid!! But, I promise to help pry open your fingers one at a time if you will help me do the same. Perhaps during the next six weeks, we can let go of a little bit of control and ease into the role of facilitator...just a bit???

    If I knew how to respond to each one of your posts, I would have done that, but I didn't and I don't even know if you can. So, until I find out differently, I will do it this way. Thanks all...and to all a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful introduction! Yes, indeed, teachers do need to continue learning so as to refine our practice, the same way we we challenge our students to extend themselves. We can clearly see that the world will not move away from technology. It will continue to change at a rapid pace whether we are ready or not.

    Last year our school acquired funding for technology and we were asked to submit requests for any type of technology we wanted. I requested a smartboard for my room and I got it, but now this year I am teaching in a different room without a Smartboard, so I have to carry a projector, laptop, speakers and a plug to class just to even show a power point presentation. I am exhausted by the end of the day!

    To respond to Cathi: I don't mind so much if my students show me how to use technology, just as long as they are respectful about it. I was miscalculating the homework grade on the Snapgrade program that we just started using in our school, and it was a student who helped me to realize what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. Luckily, he was very respectful about it.

    Diane,
    Grade 9, Global History

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi.

    I love the analogy you used about the coach who must strive to continue to improve his own skills. I so agree with you. How can we be teachers of "life long learners" if we ourselves do not continue to learn?

    What kind of formative assessments will you use with your students as they progress through your GAME plan? For example, if you are going to allow your students a free choice when it comes to the topics of their persuasive essays, will you first determine if they already know how to write persuasive essays before you begin? And, will you meet with colleagues to determine your criteria?

    I ask this because right now my school is REALLY focused on common formative assessments and data driven instruction. I'm wondering if other schools are focusing on this as well.

    Also, will you model what a persuasive essay should look like by writing one yourself that includes all of the components you require? And, do you require students to turn in all pieces of the Writing Process?

    Digs

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Jane,

    You're awesome! Maybe it would be easier to jump off the cliff if we had wings.

    April

    ReplyDelete