Thursday, December 9, 2010

Even a snail leaves a trail....

Okay, so I'm not sailing through this GAME plan at the speed of sound. Or even the speed of a race car. I'm more along the lines of the slow, slithering snail who doesn't seem to be making progress. You step over him and go in the house. When you come out the next morning, there's a shiny trail that marks where he passed. I like to think I am leaving a shiny trail that will be noticeable at the end of the school year when I reflect back on the previous nine or ten months. Just hope I don't slime anybody in the process!

I have made a little progress, though. The students in my special class have all registered with an online newspaper for tweens and are beginning to browse it for articles and news stories. They made their first postings today and I am anxious to get in there and see what they had to say. After a few days of this, we will step it up a bit. Not sure to what...but a step of some sort. That is the type of progress we are making. We are all snails together, but that is better than staying stagnant.

So, as I move along at my snail's pace, just know that I am learning to be okay with it. I gain confidence with each little step and find a new step to take when the time is right. I usually feel that I am rushing my students, so this is a little different, but together we are leaving shiny trails on the sidewalk. Just as long as we don't get stepped on!

5 comments:

  1. Jane,

    It looks as if we are both coming to terms with the pace of our progress. We may be slow, but darn,we're GOOD! I simply love your snail metaphor. Perhaps I have enjoyed following your GAME Plan progress because you're moving at a pace that I can appreciate! (Then again, perhaps it's your fun writing and metaphors.) I look forward to hearing what your next step is and how things go with it. Keep on keepin' on!

    Trina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.

    Slow, but steady seems to be the theme for this week's blog entries. But, we are all making great strides, learning new things, and implementing new activities and new technology slowly but surely. We are all making progress. Don't be so hard on yourself. Breathe, my friend, and be happy with the confidence you mention. In order for us to implement things well, we have to be confident in what we teach. Isn't it great that you yourself are becoming confident in your abilities? Fabulous!

    Digs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane,

    Someone I greatly admire once told me, “Something worth doing is worth doing poorly.” I had to think about that for awhile, but I would have to say I agree. Doing something imperfectly because you’re learning, there are obstacles, you make mistakes, or progress is slow is better than never trying at all. I have kept this gem of insight in my back pocket throughout life and used it to encourage me when my perfectionism makes me want to stop trying. Sometimes you have to start walking the trail before you can see the next step. It is all about progress, no matter how slow or imperfectly it happens. Keep going, my friend! You’re doing a fine job.

    Oh, and I can't wait to hear how your students are doing next week!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the encouragement and comraderie from each of you. I hate to think we will lose our connections once we are through with Walden in the spring. I am amazed at the things I have learned, am learning, and will continue to learn not only from the videos, texts, and professors, but from my classmates. I made another small step and it came from reading through some of your GAME plans. I realized that digital citizenship requires schools to have a license to show movies, and our doesn't. So, after speaking with our principal, we are looking into acquiring one...just another small step in technological advancements! Thanks, everyone, for sharing...Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane, I bet you have made so much progress, it is just hard to see when you are in the middle of it. Remember when we first started this class, we knew nothing about technology and we were scared to death...and look at us now, haha. Keep it up, I know you will see just how much you and your students have learned, slow usually wins the race in the long haul!

    ReplyDelete