Saturday, December 4, 2010

Who Am I Fooling?

Hahahaha!!! I am sitting here laughing at the fact that I am soon to be a graduate of a master's program relating to technology and I have to stop and try to remember how to log onto my own blog so I can create a new post! I will never be a digital native; perhaps the most I can strive for is to be somewhat 21st century literate!

One thing I learned this week was that when you think you know what you are doing...you are probably wrong. But, on the bright side, the earth does not stop spinning and the students don't really care. You just take a deep breath and regroup. I began my class of specially selected students and we will be utilizing an online newspaper for "tweens" for reading and responding. We met for the first time this week and the students seemed to be looking forward to this class. This is going to be a plan-as-we-go and learn-as-we-apply approach, but I am excited because I am forcing myself to incorporate things I have not done before. I also have another teacher working with me who is totally unfamiliar with any of this, so she is also depending on me. Did I mention that I work better under pressure?

Hopefully by next week I can post of the great strides we have made and how we have begun changing the world...one post at a time. Till then...Jane

4 comments:

  1. Hi!

    You sound like how I feel! I have the same problem when signing in.... I have three blogs and a website, so I'm a mess!

    What is this online newspaper for "tweens" that you mentioned?

    Digs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane

    I think that you will feel better once you get your feet on the ground. I am kind of nervous about a 9 weeks class I have to teach after Christmas that is a combination technology/production course. The technology part I think I can manage, but whoever thought I knew the first thing about production is a fool! Thankfully I have a connection in the district that has agreed to help me, but seriously.... I wish you luck and I think your first activity sounds like you will have a good start! Looking forward to hear of future success!

    Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Digs, the site I am referring to is TweenTribune at http://www.tweentribune.com
    It's a news site written for middle school students. I used it a little last year, but really want to do more with it this year. It has news stories for just about any topic that interests kids. The students can read and then post comments, which can be filtered through the teacher first. Check it out!

    Cathi, thanks for the encouragement and I will certainly keep everyone posted on my success...or lack of! haha! Good luck with your new class - it sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane,
    I admire your sense of adventure and positive attitude. I like the tween tribune, this is the first I have heard of this site. I know it seems overwhelming at this point, but like everything else, it come together in the end. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete