Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's Not How Well You Play the Game, It's How Good You Look In the Uniform

Progress is a funny thing; the first step is definitely the hardest one to take, but it usually initiates a little momentum. I do believe I've got a little momentum going! My students each selected a news story that posed a problem or dilemma they felt worth learning more about. Then, they were able to form groups of common topics to begin researching. They will officially begin the research tomorrow, knowing they are going to create a digital story for a solution/suggestion presentation. After reading and viewing this week's resources, I cannot wait to begin using digital storytelling in my classroom.

Now, I realize this does not sound like a lot of headway in my GAME plan, but you have to consider that my students are now entering the computer lab and immediately logging on and going to the website we are working off of, they are posting comments on their own every day, and they are asking questions about the upcoming things we will be doing. They are excited and enjoying this class! These students were formerly in a study hall type of class where they spent the thirty minute time period reading, getting make-up work, or being tutored. They started this class feeling as though they were being punished and made to work when others were not, and now...they want to be in the class! That certainly backs up a lot of the things we have heard throughout the courses at Walden.

The other interesting thing was when I unexpectedly got to visit with our Superintendent of Curriculum and tell him about the plans we were implementing in this class. He was a little surprised and taken back, and he said he certainly wants to keep up with what we are doing and see some of the results. That does add a little pressure, but hey, I always work better under pressure., I am really getting into some of the things I have been learning about, reading about, and listening to my classmates talk about.

So, tomorrow we begin researching,and then on to digital storytelling, posting to wikis, solving the world's problems, rocket science, brain surgery, etc., etc., etc.

Jane

2 comments:

  1. Hi.

    My students and I began our problem based learning using the local paper, too! We have to do a state assessment that requires students to analyze a current event or issue and explain how know historical events helps us understand the current event or issue. It's a tough task for sixth graders. They are really into it, though, because several want to make wikis for their end projects. Incorporating technology has really helped engage my students. I can see how it would yours!

    I wish you great success!

    Digs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Digs,

    You should have your students check out the website we are using - it's current stories written specifically for "tweens" and they also have one for older "teens." My students have loved reading the different stories on it.

    http://www.tweentribune.com/

    Jane

    ReplyDelete